All writings herein serve to open up the world towards knowledge that matters, to piece together the greatest philosophies of living, and to expound ways towards
the path of freedom, happiness & choice.

#15 What Could Be Added to Ken Wilber’s Work

Posted: May 13th, 2009 | Author: | Filed under: Life | 16 Comments »

“That which is not present in deep dreamless sleep is not real,” said Sri Ramana Maharshi.

He also mentioned:

“The world is illusory;
Brahman alone is real;
Brahman is the world.”

(I’ve learned them from Ken Wilber’s incredible book, “The Essential.”)

So tell me, what is Brahman?

===

Quoted from Wikipedia (source of many truthful knowledge can be found here):

Brahman is the Absolute Reality or universal substrate (not to be confused with the Creator god Brahm?.) It is said to be eternal, omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, and ultimately indescribable in human language. The sage-seers of the Upanishads had fully realized Brahman as the reality behind their own being and of everything else in this universe. They were thus Brahmins in the true sense of the word. These rishis described Brahman as infinite Being, infinite Consciousness, and infinite Bliss (saccidananda). Brahman is regarded as the source and essence of the material universe. The Rig Veda says that by the desire of the Supreme Being (RV 10.129.4), the initial manifestation of the material universe came into being from Hiranyagarbha (literally “golden womb”), out of which all worlds, organisms and divine beings (devas) arise:

“Great indeed are the devas who have sprung out of Brahman.” — Atharva Veda

Para Brahman corresponds to the concept of Godhead and Saguna Brahman to God as the Primordial Being.[2]

It is said that Brahman cannot be known by material means, that we cannot be made conscious of it, because Brahman is our very consciousness. Brahman is also not restricted to the usual dimensional perspectives of being, and thus enlightenment, moksha, yoga, samadhi, nirvana, etc. do not merely mean to know Brahman, but to realise one’s “brahman-hood”, to actually realise that one is and always was Brahman. Indeed, closely related to the Self concept of Brahman is the idea that it is synonymous with jiva-atma, or individual souls, our atman (or soul) being readily identifiable with the greater soul (paramatma) of Brahman.

Generally, Vedanta rejects the notion of an evolving Brahman since Brahman contains within it the potentiality and archetypes behind all possible manifest phenomenal forms. The Vedas, though they are in some respects historically conditioned are considered by Hindus to convey a knowledge[3] eternal, timeless and always contemporaneous with Brahman. This knowledge is considered to have been handed down by realised yogins to students many generations before the vedas were committed to writing. Written texts of the Vedas are a relatively recent phenomenon.

Connected with the ritual of pre-Vedantic Hinduism, Brahman signified the power to grow, the expansive and self-altering process of ritual and sacrifice, often visually realized in the sputtering of flames as they received the all important ghee (clarified butter) and rose in concert with the mantras of the Vedas. The term Brahmin in the Vedic period actually meant one who has realized Brahman. However, later on Brahmin came to be identified with the highest of the four castes, the Brahmins, who by virtue of their purity and priesthood held themselves as proprietors of rituals, though mostly without actual realization of Brahman, and void of Vedantic knowledge.

Among Hindu sects, Advaita Vedanta is the first instance of monism in organized religion and Hinduism is the only religion with this concept. To call this concept ‘God’ could be imprecise. The closest interpretation of the term can be found in the Taittariya Upanishad (II.1) where Brahman is described as satyam jnanam anantam brahman (“Brahman is of the nature of truth, knowledge and infinity”). Thus, Brahman is the origin and end of all things, material or otherwise. Brahman is the root source and Divine Ground of everything that exists, and is the only thing that exists according to Shankara. It is defined as unknowable and Satchitananda (“Truth-Consciousness-Bliss”). Since it is eternal and infinite, it comprises the only truth. The goal of Vedanta is to realize that the soul (Atman) is actually nothing but Brahman. The Hindu pantheon of gods is said, in the Vedas and Upanishads, to be only higher manifestations of Brahman. For this reason, “ekam sat” (“Truth is one”), and all is Brahman. This explains the Hindu view that “All paths lead to the one Truth, though many sages [and religions] call upon it by different names.”

===

I want to state something however.

Even though Ken Wilber’s books hold some very deep insights towards how we can further recognize our awareness, conciousness or Self – many of his teachings are concepts.

As I will repeat many times, you are neither your thoughts, body, feelings, nor concepts.

But I thought he’s not to be blamed, because Ken learned from many, many spiritual mystics or monks.

And most of us didn’t follow the way of these groups of people because we naturally understand that we’re still humans.

Just not completely.

That’s why Arjuna Ardagh’s introduction to “The Translucent Being” (someone who’s not totally opaque or transparent for light to go through) made absolute sense to me on the subject of awakening.

We’re not here to be totally separated from the world, or human life on earth, that’s for sure.

But of course, we’re not here to be controlled by our minds, feelings, bodies or concepts either.

There’s a balance between both where we can reside.

When something is true, it comes from our “Knowing.” We wouldn’t require arduous explanations on the subject, because then it’s a result of thought-twisting from the human mind. In Ken Wilber’s books, I have come to meet with a lot of difficulties on comprehending his teachings about holos, correlations of structures, contemplating the great chain, etc. and so I look at most of them with an eye closed.

What’s innate to you will be effortless to your being’s accepting.

Ken learned that humans don’t have free will or destiny.

If your brain works, you may smile at this.

Serendipity, manifestations, happiness, sadness, anger, joy, rich, poor, Mercedez, Honda, Big Mac, apple pie, likes, dislikes, Michaelangelo, Einstein, passion, talent, earth, solar system, air, lungs, marriage, divorce, Obama, McCain, win, lose, Wolverine, Star Trek, men, women – need I say more?

Everything happens out of our free will or the trusting of our “knowing.”

If anything, we have Everything.

The difference is, have you surrendered enough to your consciousness to truly know what your purpose is?

Have you had the chance to listen to what the “angel within the darkness” has to tell you?

Do you know the true path to happiness, peace and exhilaration on earth?

Be Sociable, Share!

16 Comments on “#15 What Could Be Added to Ken Wilber’s Work”

1. 1 Herb said at 12:00 am on May 16th, 2009:

While I do respect your beliefs; I however must agree to disagree, there are many truths in what you have written, however with that said, I believe there is only one truth, and that truth is the Spirit of the Living God, and the only way to him is through HIS Son JESUS CHRIST. While i don’t consider myself a “holy roller” and can’t stand “organized” religion, i do believe Christ died for my sins, and by his death The Most High GOD does not see my past. As Jesus said “I am the Way, The Truth, and the Life, no one goes to the Father except through me.
    This a truth I have personally experienced after wasting 40 plus years of my life searching for “truth”
    God Bless You, I pray you will encounter a visit by the Spirit of God, you will then know exactly what I mean.
    Herb

2. 2 Him said at 3:06 am on May 16th, 2009:

Jesus dying for our sins is what I would refer as a concept.

You believe it, but many will not.

Because they don’t have an innate knowing for this.

One way to know whether something is a concept or not:

Envision yourself being born on the other side of the world.

Then imagine you’ve never been taught about Christianity, or any other religions.

Will the pure you instantly know about them as you grow up, or have you been taught about them, introduced to them – or a harsher word, brainwashed into them?

3. 3 Herb said at 4:24 am on May 16th, 2009:

wish i knew your name:-) I don’t put much stock in “Pastor’s” or doctrinal teachings; see catholicism, mormon belief, church of Christ, protestants, baptists, evangelicals, presbyterians etc.
    I don’t know why God chose to communicate with me, i don’t know much about “Christianity” I am a follower of Jesus Christ, believe or not it is because I had a personal, very personal encounter with him that obviously changed my life.
    If you don’t mind me asking, what is your belief? I find it a little strange addressing a comment to Him?
    Herb

4. 4 Ray said at 4:45 am on May 16th, 2009:

Lol, I would really love to hear about your personal encounter with Jesus, Herb

5. 5 Him said at 5:21 am on May 16th, 2009:

Wars were raised in the name of religions.

People killed for reasons of illogicality.

Arguments over things which can never be appeased.

Why?

Because many humans’ personal egos are tied up to their selfish beliefs.

We aren’t able to let go.

To become still.

We choose to separate, because our egos were built upon an illusion we choose to hold dearly to for our own personal benefit on earth.

Why then, is a name like Jesus Christ, Buddha, Krishna, Muhammad important?

Why is one human better than another?

Don’t we all turn back into that same source, that consciousness, nothingness, spaciousness, once our last breath is relieved from our body?

Let our minds be still as a peaceful lake.

Be present.

Let go of the past, let go of the future.

In this moment, what is true?

6. 6 Herb said at 7:32 am on May 16th, 2009:

Him;
    A lot of what you write is very close to what GOD expects of his people. I was not being sarcastic when I asked what is your belief? And I apologize but I don’t know. You’re obviously extremely Blessed with a great philosophical mind, however as you believe, I believe you’re close, but you miss the point entirely. Have you witnessed another human’s death up close and personal? maybe you have, not really important. The reason I asked is because I have in my volunteer work, It further validated my belief in GOD. There is no collective consciousness when we leave this world, our bodies go back to dust, but our spirit goes somewhere, I know this truth, but I respect your beliefs even if I do not understand them.
    There is a book called “Twenty Three Minutes in Hell”, it’s a short read by Bill Wise and you may laugh hysterically when and if you choose to read it. Obviously I won’t recommend the Bible, but take a look since you seem to be a seeker of truth, it certainly won’t hurt to read another person’s experience/conversion…I enjoy our debate, I’ll keep writing if you answer, I’m not going to try and change your belief as you are rooted deeply in it.
    One of my favorite self quotes; “it won’t be a mystery on THAT DAY”!
    Herb

7. 7 Him said at 12:58 pm on May 16th, 2009:

It’s easy to convince yourself of a concept and make it seem very real.

See how brave people have sacrificed themselves in the name of religion for war.

For 1 spiritual/miraculous encounter which people describe in religions, there are 1000s more out in the world which people have experienced without any religious involvement.

God exists, but not as the names and characters illustrated in religions.

Imagine yourself as a newborn baby, see what is real.

As a newborn, you were never educated about either religions, introduced to any concepts of God, or taught about what is out there.

Egoless, you smile, cry, and express yourself to the fullest without a filter.

As a genuine, pure baby – would you know about Jesus Christ?

What if you were born in Afghanistan?

As an innocent Afghanistan child, would you suddenly call out to “Jesus Christ” because he’s God, innate to your ‘knowing?’

As much as you’d want to believe you would, billions in the world didn’t.

Without needing to be told about the Bible, are you able to instantly know that “Jesus Christ” is really the only one true God which should be accepted by everyone you ever knew?

Is there something that can be accomplished within Christianity that haven’t been or can’t be accomplished by other religions on earth?

Many of us are slowly awakening.

It takes time, but it’ll happen soon enough.

8. 8 ftxra said at 5:49 am on May 17th, 2009:

Pardon me Him and Herb to get into your high value and respectful dialog.

I would start saying this kind of respect is part of the TRUTH.

I understand the awareness of Him and the beliefs of Herb.

I consider myself a Christian without necessarily thinking Jesus Christ is God but He is a human model to be followed and a high inspirational Spirit. We all need a reference and He is my main reference as a human being, which is different when I think in God (that Jesus called Father). When I think in God I think more within Him’s approach, the only absolute TRUTH. Everything else is a relative truth. It may be ilusion or reality, whatever works better for one. That is part of our individual progress to reach the TRUTH. It may take a relative time (time only applies to the relative not to the absolute TRUTH) to experiment the TRUTH but we all moved to this goal, no matter what religion or how you handle the Cause and Effect Law.

May God, the TRUTH, bless you all.

9. 9 Tammye said at 6:27 am on May 17th, 2009:

I believe in the Word of God. I don’t know about what people today call “religion”. I believe in what I’ve read, not so much all of the doctrinal theories many churches have know and believe as the WORD of God but, I haven’t read it that way in some cases. I believe what the Bible says. No other books been around longer. The WORD says to focus on the those things that we do understand. That love covers a multitude of sins. Come as you are. Believe Jesus loved you enough (all of us) to die on a cross for our sins and those that came before us. That he rose on the 3rd day and is now at the right hand of the father. and He died that through him we might have eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. If you believe the Bible then when you read John 1:1 you learn that Jesus is the WORD and the WORD was God and the WORD was with GOD and that he is the light among men and nothing made would be made without Him. He goes by many names. The important thing is to know He love you. He said the He is ” I Am, that I Am” He also says don’t just go by what men say. Try all things for yourself. To read it and pray and let Him give you the interpretation of that scripture for your life through Jesus name. Most of all I think Jesus said it perfectly in the Word in the story of the harlot and they wanted to stone her to death. Jesus said “let him who is without sin cast the first stone”. Not even one could. Then he said to the woman ” Go and sin no more.” So I think it’s a given from that story only that we should practice not sinning after accepting Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. We are human and we will make mistakes. He loves us. Okay I’m done. Lol Sorry to have went on. I do enjoy talking about the Lord. It’s just a very good feeling. :)

Reply from Him:

I understand where you’re coming from.

There are 6 billion people on earth with their own beliefs about the world.

In one country, people believed it’s glorious to kill for their religion.

In another, people believed it’s right to kill for the possessions contained in another country.

If everyone were to live their lives based on their own beliefs, humanity will crumble.

Why?

Beliefs can be delusional, harmful, selfish.

That is why Truth has to be emphasized.

It is what allows us to live in peace, warmth and harmony together.

What we innately know is real, and which we can accept altogether, to finally open our eyes to the possible bliss in front of us.

10. 10 Herb said at 9:09 am on May 17th, 2009:

ftxra & Tammye;
    Thank you for both of your words, while ftxra you believe in GOD, but that Christ was a man. Christ was born a “man” from Virgin mother, I love Tammye’s strong faith, and she is correct, I have fallen so many times i should have permanent scars on my knees and elbows. The thing is, and i prayed for guidance and wisdom during my walk today, and while I didn’t see the “burning” bush, I did receive the direction I needed to immediately take. this is not in reference to our discussion but something I sorely failed on. But the greatest mystery to me is why in the world would a Holy GOD love a worthless sinner that I am unconditionally, now yes I do have free will and can reject Christ as the Son of God at any time, I choose to follow the Written Word, as Tammye wrote, I too believe the word is the Holy Spirit inspired teachings of the Great “I AM”..I must also point out that as a gentile who has a tremendous burden for our Jewish brothers and sisters, I feel priviliged to call myself a Man Of God..But in actuality we’re but step-children saved by grace. I’m sure Both Tammye and ftxra remember a passage, not sure which book, that says we are to “Pray for the Peace of Jerusalem” . I’ve rambled enough, we all have something to contribute and Him in your view of collective conscience, we view as the Body of Christ.
    Please take my comments as words sent with love and respect. I really have come to enjoy our communication, thank you.
    In His Service, Herb

11. 11 Hunt Henion said at 4:22 am on May 20th, 2009:

Great job describing a reality that’s unfortunately outside most people’s comfort zone. In fact, i think we push the understanding of reality out of our minds, along with our past lives, each time we come down to earth in order to just do what we came here for with a clear head.

So, don’t feel too bad that your audience is limited. The holographic universe is the basis of all reality on which so much more understanding will be based – someday.

12. 12 Him said at 2:03 pm on October 18th, 2009:

Thank you.

13. 13 Alexis said at 12:44 am on October 14th, 2015:

If my problem was a Death Star, this article is a photon tordpeo.

14. 14 auto insurance said at 4:36 am on January 2nd, 2016:

You’re a real deep thinker. Thanks for sharing.

15. 15 http://www.katie-mcmanus.com/ said at 9:03 am on May 13th, 2016:

Olá!!! Estive por aki dia 24-09 tirando algumas duvidas sobre gravidez e estou passando para dizer q no dia 29-09 fiz um teste de farmacia e deu 2 tracinhos, sinal de positivo. Obrigado pelas duvidas tiradas. Bjss!!!

16. 16 http://www.oweninsuragency.com/ said at 6:33 pm on July 15th, 2016:

miałem okazję pływać na tym kutrze (jak nazywał sie jeszcze GDY-4)i brać udział w jego przebudowie jak trafił z Ustki do Gdyni szkoda tej łajby zostały mi tylko zdjęcia i miłe wspomnienia .