All writings herein serve to open up the world towards knowledge that matters, to piece together the greatest philosophies of living, and to expound ways towards
the path of freedom, happiness & choice.

#154 28 Brilliant Tips for Living Life, by Leo Babauta

Posted: December 18th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: Life | 9 Comments »

Sometimes the littlest change can make a world of difference.

Start waking a little earlier and spending some quiet time to start your day? The rest of the day has been transformed.

What little change might change your life? You can pick one or two from the list below at random — I can almost guarantee that one of them will do worlds of good for anyone.

I compiled this list this morning after asking on Twitter: “What’s your best tip that has made life better/easier?” The result was a wonderful influx of brilliant wisdom. Thank you, my friends.

Enjoy.

1. Use travel delay as opportunity to stop rather than get stressed. When the world stands still, let it. [Karl Durrant]
  2. Whenever your spouse says something the first thing you should hear is “I love you & want to spend my life with you”. [David Inman]
  3. Stop clinging and embrace change as a constant. [Isabelle Cholette]
  4. Try and give people the benefit of the doubt if they snap at you. Might be something going on you don’t know about. [misslmdavis]
  5. Wash your bowl immediately after eating! [niekstarr]
  6. The daily practice of silence. [dimovich]
  7. Life is so much easier when you make a decision within 5 minutes. Longer than that and you get bogged down & never decide. [Tiffany Cooper]
  8. Friendship is a gift, not a possession. [Chris Reetz]
  9. Mostly nothing is that serious as it seems in the first moment. [Julian Pollman]
  10. Before you go to bed, write down only 3 things that you want to do the following day. This is how to prioritize. [Ziba]
  11. Do the most important task first thing in the morning. [Jordan Ayres]
  12. Make all driving a mindfulness practice. Well being and safety! [Branden Barnett]
  13. When you think you want something, put it on the planner a month from now. When that month rolls around and you still want it, OK. [connie baber]
  14. Smiling … seems to help with most things. :-) [zen fostering]
  15. Love where you live and working in walking distance from where you live. [Anoel]
  16. Expecting less or nothing, and just being. That way disappointments are nil and you are pleasantly surprised often. Simple. [Traci]
  17. Allow extra time in your schedule for wandering. [dylan]
  18. Meditate — it makes everything fall into place. Being happy makes life so much better and easier! [Gabriel Rocheleau]
  19. Do something relaxing before going to bed. No electronics. [Rozanne Paxman]
  20. Don’t fold clothes. Saves time and hassle. [Rachel Jonat]
  21. QTIP: quit taking it personally. [Will Hopkins]
  22. To avoid cluttering: After any activity, put everything in place. It only takes 5 minutes vs. 3 hours if you allowed to pile things up. [La Piña]
  23. Organic steel cut oats. YUM! [Prem]
  24. Realizing that you treasure experiences over possessions makes life better. [Sophia Khan]
  25. If you lick a glass before drinking from it, your lipstick doesn’t smear the glass. [natalie fergie]
  26. When in doubt, take a deep breath. [Kevin Cuccaro]
  27. Define what’s necessary; say no to the rest. [Dana]
  28. Expect nothing. Welcome everything. (from a homeless man with AIDS on the streets of Vancouver.) [Sarah Chauncey]
Be Sociable, Share!

9 Comments on “#154 28 Brilliant Tips for Living Life, by Leo Babauta”

1. 1 Law Miller said at 11:15 am on April 14th, 2014:

All physical objects are empty and unreal. This includes all bodies. They are all divine expression.

2. 2 Joe said at 10:55 pm on October 13th, 2015:

> Aim for it, but don’t expect it.Brilliant avdcie.What can you expect anyway? Many people are successful in their own lifetimes only to go on to obscurity after their deaths. Many others only achieve the recognition they deserve after their deaths (the author of the novel Revolutionary Road, Richard Yates, is a great example.)So I’d go further and say aim to do your best and enjoy every minute, because the doing is your ultimate goal. Winning prizes and accolades and being financially successful are ultimately irrelevant to your daily work and often prove to have negative effects in the long run. Fame and/or financial success should be perks, not goals.The best avdcie I could give to any writer though is to schedule your days. You have to compartmentalise socialising (which includes talking about writing with other writers) and the actual work of writing and its attendant disciplines. I also think that the actual writing is a tiny part of being a successful writer. I’ve had to learn/am still learning the following skills which take up a far greater part of my work day than writing: marketing, web design, book cover design, html and css coding, typesetting, presenting, blogging, networking, business.Last year I spent 3 months writing a novel. This year I’m aiming to finish all the other work so that writing can take priority again between March and June. This is why I think scheduling, timetabling, wall planners and lists are vital.Look at the time. See? I’m 20 minutes late for work. Naughty me

3. 3 http://glavkasko.info said at 1:36 am on November 18th, 2015:

I’ll try to put this to good use immediately.

4. 4 http://www.www2go.info/annieshope.org said at 7:25 pm on December 7th, 2015:

You mean I don’t have to pay for expert advice like this anymore?!

5. 5 auto insurance said at 9:17 pm on December 11th, 2015:

I’m not worthy to be in the same forum. ROTFL

6. 6 http://www.sorethumbsblog.com/ said at 9:21 am on April 29th, 2016:

Every body acknowledges that our life seems to be very expensive, nevertheless some people require money for various things and not every one earns big sums money. Thus to receive some loans or just collateral loan should be a right solution.

7. 7 car insurance said at 10:22 pm on May 20th, 2016:

You drove from Alaska to CA?! That must’ve really been great…I’m so jealous!! I hope you had an amazing time, sounds like you did! Out of all my travels I think that Sonoma has the highest concentration of excellent restaurants per square inch…I have never been more of a piggy than I was there, LOL.

8. 8 http://www.taxiwhittierexpress.com/ said at 9:12 pm on May 26th, 2016:

:-)@ Vieux G: J'avais pas pensé à inclure le texte. Une omission que je vais rectifier à l'instant. Mais je sais ton trip dactylo, héhé: me sens pas trop coupable!

9. 9 http://pilulesenligne.men/ said at 7:09 pm on August 9th, 2016:

Hey Joel, awesome relaunch! Love the look … as I’m posting this, me and Erin are having a Puttytribe Huddle and discussing how much we love your the look and functionality of your commenting section. And we both want it.